Friday, June 14, 2013

Tugs on your heart strings

This post is an emotional one so I suggest before you read on you go and grab the tissues. It is one I have been putting off writing because I personally didn't want to face the emotions also, but the time has come!

   We all know what happened in Newtown, CT on December 14, 2013, and well if you don't know, well you live in a bunker under a rock! Since today marks the six month anniversary of that horrible incident, I decided to share with you what I did to help.

   A few weeks after the event, I got an email from my doctor saying that she sent a letter to the town and wanted to donate 26 trees in memory of the victims.

  On April 27th my friend and I went to Newtown to plant trees at their sports field. The township parks department decided that is where our trees were going. My friend and I had anxiety about the day and what we would see. Getting off the exit, my heart started to race. The town of Newtown is the cutest town ever, so typical small town America. We drove on right past the church, the firehouse which now has 26 copper stars on the roof, many of the stores that had signs in the windows that were featured on the news like "Hug a Teacher" Right before the firehouse was a long skinny driveway, that driveway had all cones going across the road. That is where the Sandy Hook School was. The hanging sign that said Sandy Hook Elementary School was removed and there was an angel hanging in the sign's place. There were also all flower bouquets at the base of the sign.

  When my friend and I arrived at the park we met with Laura who was a township citizen who happened to pick up the letter my doctor sent back in December. We put on a brave face, and tried to stay positive, but it was very hard not to cry. She explained to us what we had to do with our trees and we got to work. We planted two of the 26 trees that day!

   While being their and talking to some of the people that were standing around and commenting on our work, we quickly realized these were the victims parents. That day we met three victims parents. They were all so strong and have such a positive outlook. We spent a lot of time talking with Avielle's parents, who started the Avielle foundation. Avielle and her family had just moved to Newtown three years ago, and she was an only child. Her parents were truly amazing people.

    Laura who was the coordinator, told us about the local bead shop called Bead of Roses. If you grow up in Newtown, this is the cool place to have your birthday! They are letting children of the town come in and make free pieces to help cope.Many of the girls would choose the green rose bead when they were making something, that is why one of the memory bracelets is made up of that bead.  They also have items that are being sold are portions of the profits are going to that particular child's foundation. Some of the parents, siblings and friends designs the bracelets that are being sold. The link is the one for the items in memory of the victims. Bead of Roses also donated a necklace to every volunteer who helped plant trees that day!

   I really was glad that I was able to help and make a difference is people's lives, people who lost so much also!


This was the park where our trees are. 
This was our second tree, all the parents walking 
down to the field stopped to thank us. 

You can see all the trees we planted

 This was our first tree



There was also a newspaper article posted about the whole experience posted here. 


Happy Friday everyone, I hope you have a wonderful weekend!